Friday, November 1, 2013

Three Girls and Their Brother by Theresa Rebeck





Title: Three Girls and Their Brother
Author: Theresa Rebeck
Publisher: Audiobooks
Rating: WARTY

This novel sucked green wieners from the start. It turned out to be nothing like the book blurb had lead me, at least, to believe it would present. The cover should have told me all I needed to know. This is about redheads, and the cover is B&W! There's only one woman on it and she looks way too old to be one of the sisters. She looks more strawberry blonde than red-head. Whose hand is that lighting her cigarette (or is it her brandy he's lighting?). We don't know. I don't care. Maybe it's her brother condescending to bring light to her world like a Judaic Messiah or the Greek god Prometheus. Maybe her hair is red from being set aflame?

The entire novel is narrated by a boring, self-obsessed guy kibitzing endlessly about his so-called life, and all the wonderful things which continually befall him, oh, and yeah, his apparently bratty sisters. I just didn't trust his take on things at all, but I couldn't maintain enough interest to bother satisfying my yawning curiosity on the topic. I'm yawning now just thinking about it. Brr! Ugh! This novel is not in the least entertaining: it's not funny, it's not interesting, and it's not going anywhere. That's the best I can say about it. The title itself is misleading because it's really about a bro (oh, and there are bits about his irrelevant three sisters and their tiresome fifteen minutes of fame tossed in for leavening).

I should have known better than to pick up any novel which uses a word like 'literary' in the blurb. Such novels are inescapably worthless and pretentious, but when it combined 'literary' with 'critic' I definitely should have known to run a mile. Hopefully I'll remember this next time! WARTY! (Imagine multitudinous exclamations in hum-drum line with that one)