Monday, August 18, 2014

Tempt the Devil by Jill Braden


Title: Tempt the Devil
Author: Jill Braden
Publisher: Wayzgoose Press
Rating: WORTHY!


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Wayzgoose Press. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my favorite editor at Wayzgoose for the sneak preview of this.

This is the third in Jill Braden's 'Devil of Ponong' series. I already reviewed the first The Devil's Concubine, and the second The Devil Incarnate both back in June.

The problem with choosing a novel title with the word 'devil' in it is that it's probably already been used. That's why you have to make sure that yours stands out more brilliantly than other books which might have a similar - or the same - name. Jill Braden has proven three times in a row now that she has the skill and ingenuity to accomplish this and not even make it look like she had to work for it. And yes, I'm shamelessly biased - and proud to admit it!

I'd like to thank DJ Rogers for the cover design which allowed me at last to place my eyeglasses over the image of the main character and amuse my kids since they fit the cover so well. Now the eldest wants to read this series too. At the time I did this, I had no idea that eye-wear would play an interesting part in the novel! There's a spoiler (but not much of one).

My only disappointment in this novel was that my favorite character, QuiTai, was a bit sidelined (by her own choice in pursuit of an elaborate scheme she's cooked up). I adore QuiTai, and always want her front and center. I guess since she took the reins in the last volume, it's only fair to lend them to the other main character in this one, but I don't find him anywhere near as fascinating as I do her. QuiTai is now my second favorite fictional female of all time, surpassing even Molly Millions of William Gibson's Neuromancer

But I digress. In this volume, QuiTai is pissed-off, and her reaction to this is to get herself arrested. She's in jail for a goodly portion of this novel, but that does not, in any way, shape, or form, mean that she's idle. She has an amazingly cunning plan and it turns out that she's exactly where she needs to be to see it through.

Meanwhile, poor beleaguered governor Kyam is stuck trudging through Levapur's heat trying to solve the murder of his predecessor before QuiTai is unceremoniously - and without trial - hung for it at sundown. Like I indicated, I would have preferred it if Kyam were jailed and QuiTai involved in investigating the crime, but to be perfectly honest, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as thrilling for me had that been the case, as it actually was the way it was written. Besides, QuiTai already knows who did it, and she has another agenda....

I have to say this is technically the best-written of the three volumes, but I can't make up my mind which is my favorite. In each volume there are new things to learn, and some new characters to explore. I particularly liked the introduction of Kyam's wife, Nashruu here. This is yet another strong female character tossed into the mix, and she promises to be quite a handful in future volumes. Certainly she proves herself her to be more than Kyam can handle in this one.

The world of Ponong continues to grow and to be filled-in with ever more fascinating detail, becoming increasingly intricate and absorbing. I have no doubt that this will continue with each volume, and I am very much looking forward to the next one already. Meanwhile, Ill leave you with the opening few lines from this volume:

She was vapor: insidious, addicting, forbidden.
She was QuiTai, the Devil's right hand - and often his left one, too. Former actress, former prostitute, former mistress to kings and prime ministers, she was a dangerous mixture of ruthlessness, charm, intelligence, and cunning.

What better introduction could you ask for? Now go read it!