Saturday, September 27, 2014

Alice in Wonderland (Graphic Novel) by Lewis Helfland


Title: Alice in Wonderland
Author: Lewis Carroll, adapted by Lewis Helfland.
Publisher: Morphus VC
Rating: WORTHY!

Illustrated by Rajesh Nagulakonda.

I've posted a review of the audio book the same day I posted this review, so I'm not going to get into reviewing it again in detail here, except to talk about the graphic aspects of this version of the celebrated novel.

It's exactly the same as the audio book, but graphic! It was really fun to do this double-take because one version was purely auditory and the other was largely visual, so it was a charming and enjoyable way to experience a story as bizarre and oddball as this one.

Rajesh Nagulakonda's artwork is simplistic, really appealing and evocative, even as he has chosen to portray Alice traditionally, in her blue dress with white bib apron.

I have to say a few words about the caterpillar. I have no idea upon whom he was modeled, but he looks disturbingly familiar. Then there's the pig on page 32, although it is rather a handsome pig. And about that sheep on page 67? What the heck kind of an expression is that for a sheep to have on its face?!

So needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), I recommend this graphic novel.