Tuesday, October 21, 2014

KeeKee's Big Adventures in Athens, Greece by Shannon Jones


Title: KeeKee's Big Adventures in Athens, Greece
Author: Shannon Jones
Publisher: Calithumpian
Rating: WORTHY!


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review. The chance to read a new novel is reward aplenty!

Wonderfully illustrated by Casey Uhelski.

Don’t tell my wife, but KeeKee had me at the cover, which is why I requested to review this. I was inordinately thrilled to receive this young children's adventure book because I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. How could I be with a cute kitten like this on the front? Her only competition was Athena, but for me it was always KeeKee, a can-do cat who doesn’t let half a world get in the way of travel, adventure, fun, and education (and in that order, too!).

She's already been to Roma and Paris in previous books, so this time, it's Athens! Off she romps in her hot-air balloon, and soon she's traveling over Europe and touching down in one of the oldest cities in the world. I've been to Athens more than once, and I love it just as much each time. She visits the Parthenon, and the oldest neighborhood in Athens (the Parthenon isn't?!), the Plaka, which frankly I don’t personally remember from my trips, but that's Ouzo for you….

You know what I think they should do with old monuments like the Parhtenon? Of course not, so I'll tell you! They should move such priceless antiquities bodily into a protected area, and build a brand new one in the original location to represent it at the height of its glory. What a sight the Parhtenon would be then!

But I digress! With her owl friend who is showing her around the lively and thriving city, they get to sample moussaka and tzatziki. Now if you say those words as you eat the food, you can be sure you've chewed it properly…(mouth closed, of course!). KeeKee ends-up as stuffed as an olive. Her words, not mine, but they made me laugh out loud. I guess that's a LolCat, huh? When I was in Greece, they had this spaghetti at my hotel which is the best I've ever tasted anywhere. And I fell in love with stuffed grape leaves there, too. I still eat those whenever I can get 'em! I don't really miss the retsina....

Anyway, KeeKee has a lot of fun, and after confusing 'dork columns' with 'Doric columns' she learns a lot, too. And on that subject major kudos to author Shannon Jones for avoiding the absurd mythology of Atlantis, and instead putting in a realistic interpretation featuring the fascinating island of Santorini. Casey Uhelski deserves a mention too for the artwork, which really is quite captivating. It’s due to her that I'm in love with KeeKee!

There's even a glossary in the back to teach you a little more about the places KeeKee visited, and where you can learn a little Greek - and no, it wasn't all Greek to me. Many of the phrases were familiar even though it's been a while since I was there. This story made me want to visit again, but I won’t hold that against it!

This story had nothing wrong with it at all. It was perfect, and an ideal way to introduce young children to exotic places. Enticingly written, gorgeously and colorfully illustrated, and very educational, I highly recommend this for those of appropriate age - and children, too!