Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Me, Myself, And Why? by MaryJanice Davidson


Title: Me, Myself, And Why?
Author: MaryJanice Davidson
Publisher: Blackstone Audio
Rating: WARTY!

Really poorly read by Renée Raudman.

(Not to be confused with Jennifer Ouellette's much more intelligent book of the same title, but entirely different subject matter.)

I read the first of this author's 'Undead and...' series because the title was hilarious, and I actually found it very entertaining despite some issues. The second one in that series was nowhere near as good and so I gave up reading her material, but then I saw this one in the library and decided to find out if I liked a new and different series any better. I didn't.

It was audio, which is good for me when driving, and it was short - I dislike long audio books - but I soon found myself skipping tracks trying to find a good bit (there weren't any), and gave up on this before even the first disk was done playing, because it was so god-awfully bad I couldn't believe it. The reading was poor to begin with, but even with the best reader in the world it would still have sucked because the writing was awful, shallow, tedious, frivolous, inanely rambling, and air-headed in the extreme. I literally could not stand (nor sit!) to listen to it any more.

There are other issues with it, including the entire premise of this novel. The blurb is one of the most misleading book blurbs ever written. Indeed, it's outright fraud. It mentions the main character's "sisters" Shiro and Adrienne, but they are not sisters, they are two other personalities of a woman who has Dissociative Identity Disorder. I thought I would be reading a book about three sisters sharing an apartment which sounded really interesting to me. I did not expect to get, nor did I want, a book taking potshots at people with unfortunate mental issues, and not in any edifying, educational, or loving way. (If anyone wants to actually write that three sisters novel of which I now feel robbed, I'd love to read it, BTW!)

Cadence, the main personality, works for a special division of the FBI which purposefully hires mentally-ill people because they're evidently fun to watch. Of course, that's not the reason given, but it's quite obviously the reason Davidson chose to write this book - to make light of people with such issues, and more than likely, serial killer victims to boot. My first thought, only a few minutes into the novel, and before I had any real idea what was really going on was "I sincerely hope the FBI doesn't have people like this working for them irl!"

I'm not on board with this kind of sloppy, amateur fan-fic style writing. Never will be. And I'm done with MaryJanice Davidson.