Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Last Quarrel by Duncan Lay


Title: The Last Quarrel
Author: Duncan Lay
Publisher: Momentum Books
Rating: WARTY!


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review. The chance to read a new book is often enough reward aplenty!

This is a very short (~90 pages) novel identified as episode one of an intended hexalogy. I wasn't impressed enough to want to finish this despite its brevity, let alone go on to another "episode'. There was nothing technically wrong with the writing; it was the story itself which failed to stir my interest or pull me in. I was given no reason to become attached to any of the characters or to become curious about their lives and problems, or about what was happening to their village.

Set in a "Gaelland" - a flimsily disguised Eire - we begin in a fishing village, the inhabitants of which are expecting a visit from their Duke overlord. His ship comes flying into the harbor under full sail, with no attempt to slow down, and grounds itself on the beach. When the highly superstitious head villagers go aboard, mumbling nervously about witches and selkies, they find no crew and no explanation for its absence.

<>p>
Meanwhile, elsewhere, the King's son and heir watches an innocent woman being burned as a witch without lifting a finger to stop it. She's blamed for the noted disappearance of some children.

It was at this point, about fifty percent of the way through, that I quit reading because I simply could not generate any interest in the story. I just didn't care about any of this or any of the people. Maybe your mileage will be different, but I can't recommend this based on what I read.