Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Many Nibbles of Mister Gibbles by Laura Yirak


Title: The Many Nibbles of Mister Gibbles
Author: Laura Yirak
Publisher: Amazon
Rating: WORTHY!

Illustrated by Daren Challman.

Laura Yirak has the kind of last name that always makes me think it's written backwards. I think it's because it begins with a Y (and yes, I do get really confused by people named Yancy). Kariy does sound exactly like a name, but it's never actually spelled that way as far as I know!

But I digress! I thought this one might be fun to read because one of my sons had pet guinea pigs, and the title of this novel was amusingly playful. Daren Challman's artwork was really interesting, too. Some of it was drawn, but the drawings were then combined with photographs, and the effect was really quite diverting. I found the grass representing the bottom of the cage quite distracting because it kept drawing my eyes away from everything else. The overall technique definitely worked, though. It's worth keeping in mind that there are many ways to create compelling images for children's books.

My son's guinea pigs showed interest in quite a variety of foods, and would call out as soon as they heard the refrigerator door open, expecting to get rewarded with a stack of lettuce leaves. They would also eat olives, apples, potatoes, yams, dandelions from the yard, and a host of other things, including things they may never have encountered in the wild (had they been wild) as well as their regular packaged guinea pig food, which is essential to be sure they're getting all their nutritional needs.

The colors were gorgeous in this story and it was very poetic and playful, so I have no problem recommending it, although I would have liked it better if it had offered some advice about caring for these pets. There was this one fun thing which unintentionally came free with the ebook. Two successive pages at the beginning had text in the middle of a bright orange sunburst, and if I put my finger down to slide the screen, but instead of swiping once, moved it quickly back and forth, it produced an almost animated shimmer effect which was quite fun, and which no doubt will amuse your kids.

Please note that while guinea pigs - in my opinion - are not as fun as some other pets such as hamsters, mice, and especially rats (which are a riot), they are quiet and readily pet-able, very much like rabbits. They do get noisy when they think that there's food in the offing, and start what's called wheaking (I call it bubble and squeak, borrowing from an English term for a kind of meal). They will stand up on their back legs almost like Meerkats to reach for the food you bring them.

Guinea pigs, like all pets, are living things which have feelings and needs and which can feel discomfort, fear and pain. They're not toys and they do require attention, care, and ugh, cleaning, so if you're thinking of getting one (or preferably two) females for your kids, please make sure the child not only understands that work is required, but also what that work will entail. Fresh water every day, and frequent fresh greens as treats. Even little guinea pigs need big love!

But I digress again! So this book was cool, fun, and did teach something about caring for guinea pigs without seeming to do so - which is the best teaching technique of all, isn't it? I recommend this one.