Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Air Issue 2 by G Willow Wilson and MK Perker


Rating: WARTY!

I found this series in the close-out section of my local comic book store and it looked interesting (especially the imitation of the Andrew Wyeth painting Christina's World on the cover of issue 5), so I picked up issues 2 through 5. Issue one wasn't available. I figured that despite missing one, I ought to be able to get a good feel for the series from this selection and be able to decide whether it was worth keeping up with. I didn't get a good feel from it, so I quit after issue five, which is as far as my commitment went. Note that i am using the word 'issue' here to distinguish from the later collections, which are referred to as volumes.

In issue one, apparently, airline flight attendant (described as "stewardess" in the idiotic blurb for this series) Blythe, who perversely suffers from acrophobia, discovers that she's a "hyperpract" - able to find places which aren't on the map but which nevertheless exist, and fly aircraft to them. Evidently Blythe has a "mysterious rescuer" in that volume. In volume two, Blythe learns some information about hyperprax flight. There is a mysterious device involved, which several interested parties are seeking.

Blythe travels through a country that isn't on the map in search of a dimension of lost things! For the love of Zayn! (which is actually the Hebrew word for penis, so while Zayn mayn't be a terrorist, he is a dick without question!). Later, Blythe becomes trapped in his juvenile body, reliving his life! I'm glad I never read that far.

This issue merely has Zayn escaping from prison (highly improbably, I might add), and Blythe running around like a pinball and hooking up with an aging Indian woman. While I didn't consider this issue a disaster, it was weird and hard to follow, but at least I had only three more to wade through. I can't recommend this. Maybe having read issue one would have helped, but somehow I doubt that.