Thursday, February 5, 2015

My Grandma's A Ninja by Todd Tarpley


Title: My Grandma's A Ninja
Author: Todd Tarpley
Publisher: North-South Books
Rating: WORTHY!

Illustrated charmingly by Danny Chatzikonstantinou.


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review. The chance to read a new book is often enough reward aplenty!

Today happens to be crazy kids day on my blog and I have two, count 'em two, once again, two gloriously insane kids books which have, as their educational component, the fact that it's perfectly fine to be completely nutso once in a while. This second volume is admirably qualified because...well, because grandma's a ninja!

Swinging into town and impressing - and then distressing - her grandson's school mates, grandma leaves a big impression - on the busted school soccer ball (they have only the one...). Moreover, or more under, she demonstrates some kewl karate - and kudos to the author for not mixing Japanese martial arts with Chinese. Both Ninja and Karate are Japanese (or strictly speaking, Okinawan in the case of the latter).

But grandma isn't unreasonable. Once she realizes her free-wheeling lifestyle is cramping her grandson's style, she decides to retire from being a ninja. Perhaps her new career will be less adventurous? If you believe that, I have this beautiful 1940's style bridge at Tacoma Narrows to sell ya at a knock-down price.... Meanwhile, allow me to recommend this great kids book!