Saturday, July 11, 2015

Plain Jane by Sally Huss


Rating: WORTHY!

Erratum:
"...not one colored foks could be seen in the fray."? Maybe "none of the colored folks could be seen in the fray."?

I reviewed two previous books by Sally Huss, one of which I liked, the other I didn't. This third one I liked.

This is a wonderfully affirming and self -possessed book about a plan ordinary person - just like the rest of us - in this case a girl whose name is Jane and she's real plain. This book is a real blues beater, told in odd poetic meter, we learn that she had to leave her previous town because it was simply getting her down. Now she's moved to a new location just in time for a big celebration.

This town is populated by colored folks - I make no insult, I make no jokes - they rainbow-colored as if it matters, and more than that they've covered in patterns. Jane feels even more like she can't fit in when she sees the bright colors on everyone's skin.

But the town likes Jane and now she's in place, they have a great plan to color her face! But as the crowd begins to jam her she calls a halt to their fuss and clamor, asking, "Why color myself to look like you when I can be unique with my very own hue?"

Now Jane learned a lesson: even plain has resplendence! Why emulate others when she can have her independence? So as the bombs burst overhead and the rockets glared red, she was happy you see in the land of the free!

I recommend this one for it exuberance, and even for its uberance before it became an ex.