Friday, January 31, 2014

Quincy and Buck by Camille Matthews





Title: Quincy and Buck
Author: Camille Matthews
Publisher: Pathfinder Equine Publications
Rating: WORTHY!

Illustrated by Michelle Black


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review.

Michelle Black's artwork in this novel is beautiful. I do not know how she did it exactly, but it looks like it's oil on canvas (for all I know, it may well be!). The painting at the end, which made Quincy look like he was smiling without making it look absurd was absolutely priceless.

My apologies to the author, but in a book like this, it's the artwork that makes the first impression! But rest assured it's not all art and no substance to the text. The story is excellent too, teaching valuable lessons about bullying and bravery as young Quincy and the older, rather meaner Buck take their riders out onto a desert trail for a nice day's ride. There's no preaching here, no strident lessons, simply a tale as soft and easy as a comfortable horse-ride on an old and familiar saddle.

I defy anyone to not like this. I rate it a worthy read.