Sunday, January 10, 2016

Batwoman: Vol 4 This Blood is Thick by JH Williams III, W Haden Blackman and various artists


Rating: WARTY!

I covered some general issues I had with this series in my review of volume one. I enjoyed that issue despite the problems, but this one fared far less well. The only reason I eve read it was that I had all four volumes out of the library at once. if I'd had to buy them as single issues every month at the store, I never would have finished the collection in volume two, much less read all four collections.

Volume four of this series of collections was the worst of all. I couldn't even finish it. The thing which really nauseated me was the artwork (at last!), but the intriguing thing was that this was done by a different set of artists. My problem with it was that while the quality was slightly better, the characters looked completely different from how they appeared in the first three volumes! The opening sequence of Kate and Maggie in bed together looked so alien I had no idea who these two people were! Worse than that, however was that they looked significantly younger - like they were teenage girls.

It wasn't this apparent consumption of a draft from the fountain of youth that actually turned me off however, it was the section after that where once again we have to spend time with loser dad Jacob, whom I could not stand and whose story I found consistently dull and tedious through this story arc. In this segment, he was talking to his wife, and while they both looked somewhat different from previous artwork, Jacob at least still looked his age, which was quite mature, whereas his wife looked like a child bride! I don't know if she was supposed to be his original wife in which case she was way-the-hell too young, or if he had remarried, in which case the text made no mention of it, but she looked younger than Kate Kane had in earlier volumes, and Batwoman is supposedly in her thirties. Not that an aunt can't look (or even be) younger than a niece, but it was simply wrong for these two to be talking about 'children' the way they were when the wife was drawn very nearly as a child herself!

After that, I could not take the series seriously, and I quit reading. I certainly cannot recommend any of this unless you're a real (and desperate!) die-hard fan.