Saturday, April 4, 2020

The Akhenaten Adventure by PB Kerr


Rating: WARTY!

This book, a part of the 'Children of the Lamp' series, did not agree with me, which perhaps is no surprise since it's not aimed at me! The thing is though that I've read many middle-grade novels and enjoyed a lot of them. This one, not so much. I finally got around to it after it had been sitting quietly on my print book shelves forever. Maybe that should have been a tip-off! But the story - some 350 pages long - took an almost forever to get moving, and it made little sense.

It tells you right up front - or rather right in back, in the book description - that the non-identical twins in the story, Phillipa and John (John Gaunt believe it or not - at least the author left of the O'), are djinni, aka genies. Why then drag the story pointlessly on for fully a third of its length before this is revealed to the twins? In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Rowling had it revealed to him that he was a wizard before page 60, and that book was shorter than this one. So why the delay? I have no idea. It seemed ridiculous to me since it was already known what they were.

The problem, and this is only a theory, but the problem as I see it is that writers get lethargic when creating a series and drag everything out to fill lots of volumes so they can stick it to the reader for the cost of yet another novel in the series. It's not about entertaining the reader and giving value for money; it's about putting in the least effort for the maximum reward, and Big Publishing™ encourages this big time, of course.

Shame on such writers. Shame on such publishers. This is one of many reasons, and with few exceptions, that I detest series and why I self-publish. Writing is what's important to me - not milking money from people, especially in times like this with ten million people - and disproportionately minorities, teens, and women - out of work.

The kids meet their uncle Nimrod (yeah, really!) in a dream they have while having their wisdom teeth extracted, and they persuade their parents to let them fly to London to visit him. Why London? I don't know: a Harry Potter 'Brits are cool' diversion? It was pointless.

Why not have their Uncle living in Egypt, which is where they went next? Arab-phobia? It felt rather bigoted to me to have the story be about a race of people whose name is of Middle east origin, and then deny that derivation by starting it in the US and then moving it to London with the Middle East coming in third. But this is another problem with novels and too many movies. If it ain't USA, who cares? How small-minded. And how mercenary.

So the story was slow. Worse, it was not particularly interesting or original, or adventurous, and it didn't draw me in, make me like or even respect any of the characters, or make me want to read beyond about half way, which is more than I ought to have read, for sure. I can't commend this based on what I read of it.