Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Maggie for Hire by Kate Danley

Rating: WARTY!

I've had only one experience with this author prior to this and that was in another story collection which I reviewed about four years ago. I wasn't impressed with that one, and this didn't help my reading relationship with her at all - quite the opposite. So here goes story six in this collection of seven I've been punishing myself reading.

Once again it's in worst person voice and it's a fine exemplar of why 1PV simply doesn't work. The narrator is telling us about a fight she's in - while she's in it. I'm sorry but that's pathetic. The very last thing someone in a fight is thinking - if they're actually thinking as opposed to reacting on instinct, which this person ought to be doing - is describing the fight in supposedly fine and witty prose. Barf. That was enough for me to quit the story right there as being laughably implausible and boring as hell. After I'd been out there and read a few other reviews on it, I was glad I'd wasted no more time on this than I did.

The plot is the usual lame duck bullshit. Maggie MacKay's dad disappeared while working a case and his idiot daughter is following his career. No doubt the author hopes to spin this out as a series arc - finding dad or finding closure. Yawn. In this volume an amorous elf by the name of Killian turns up and he apparently cannot keep his hands to himself, but Maggie has no problem with this. That alone would make me ditch the novel, but reading dialog during this fight like, "Come on, would you just die already?" followed by "You are the one who will die!" from the vampire is seriously juvenile. If there's one thing I can't stand it's these superhero-style comic book fights where they're exchanging quips the entire time. Barf.

So no. Just no. Can't commend this at all. It's warty to the max.