Sunday, August 1, 2021

Essential Anaïs Nin by Anaïs Nin

Rating: WARTY!

I misunderstood this one completely. I'd thought it was going to be a collection of her best work read by the author (whose full name is the immense Angela Anaïs Juana Antolina Rosa Edelmira Nin y Culmell) herself, but instead, it was a very short collection of some random speeches she'd made, usually talking about people I'd never heard of. It was a delight to hear her voice which I never had before, but the speeches were mostly boring to me because they lacked context and were presented with no introduction or background. There was some humor and one or two interesting insights, but for me this simply wasn't really worth the time or the money. Quite honestly I felt rather ripped-off. Fortunately I had this at a discount so it could have been worse! But I can't commend it unless you're truly a Nin-y!