Monday, April 7, 2014

Sex Criminals Volume 1 by Matt Fraction





Title: Sex Criminals Volume 1
Author: Matt Fraction
Publisher: Diamond Book Distributors
Rating: WORTHY!

Illustrator: Chip Zdarsky, and he does it very capably.

Note that this graphic novel is extremely graphic! It contains language and adult material, and is not at all suitable for younger readers!

DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review.

This, I think is the most off-the-wall, utterly bizarre graphic novel I've ever read or indeed will read this year (very probably), and it was delicious tot he last drop cap. It's completely irreverent, and the idea underlying it is so preposterous that it makes me wonder why I never thought of it myself. I'm just glad someone did! It also happens to be a perfect story to tell in graphic form, and it's told well.

I'm sure those of us who've had sex will understand what it's like to feel like time stops at that precious moment of bliss and, if you're doing it right, for moments afterwards too; the only difference here is that the main character, Suzie, discovers that when she has an orgasm she stops time - quite literally. Since she's a virgin when she discovers this, she has a lot of questions, but no one seems interested in helping her fully understand what's going on, although she learns some interesting facts in the process!

She soon discovers a male partner, Jon, who has the same abilities as she does, and the two of them embark upon a life of crime, discovering how very easy it is to rob a bank when time has stopped. Unfortunately, someone is onto them, and this is where things begin to go even further off the rails than they had already gone!

And that's all you're getting! It's a short story, so it's a short review. I don't want to give very much away in cases like this. I recommend this for appropriate readership, and also for the tips and pointers section at the back of this volume which will undoubtedly be of use to anyone who's interested (as I am) in the comic and graphic novel creation process.