Tuesday, August 19, 2014

WastedLands Omnibus by Del Stone


Title: WastedLands Omnibus
Author: Del Stone
Publisher: Magnetic Press
Rating: WORTHY!

Illustrated by Dave Dorman.


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review.

This is an omnibus edition composed of several different pieces to illustrate Dave Dorman's work. The first story is what interested me, and is what graces the cover. I loved the way this peek into the world though a hollowed-out cog wheel shape opens up on the next page to show the full - and impressive - illustration of the main protagonists in the story. That was so cool in the Adobe reader version because it was like the masking vanished to reveal what was concealed behind it! Cool!

That said, I have to add that in Adobe Reader, the full page illustrations changed page v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y, whereas most - but not all - other images changed pages quickly. During my reading of this, it was a minor annoyance, but in writing this review it was a major annoyance having to wait as I flicked back and forth through the pages to check on details!

The story I was most interested in was the first, titled Rail: Broken Things, which I thought was excellent - the artwork and coloring in particular was impressive. The dialog could have used something - I'm not sure what, it just seemed a bit lackluster here and there, but it was acceptable.

It had all the appearance, to begin with, of a steam-punk story, but it quickly became apparent that this wasn't at all what was going on. It was really a wild-west story, where technology had advanced much more quickly in this world than in ours, and the 'cowboys' rode Harleys rather than horses - yes, improbable, but still a cool idea!

Edge, the next in line was merely a series of uncolored line drawings used in or preparatory for, the previous story. Great idea for anyone who is interested in a how-to.

Skinners was downright creepy, and darkly drawn to boot. I liked this less, but it was still an engrossing story. I particularly liked the villainous sucker-covered female characters. I found that idea really interesting and original.

Death Before Breakfast and The Vessel are a text-only stories which I confess I skipped because I just could not get into either of them. They actually took me by surprise appearing in the middle of a comic book! Maybe I'll try those again some other time. I did love the title of the first of these, though!

Monkey Business was a cross between Wasted Lands, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and The Planet of the Apes, with a character from Wasted Lands as the 'wicked witch'. It was really well drawn, but I didn't like the story itself. It related the tale of a sentient zombie bike rider being captured by 'the witch', so that will undoubtedly appeal to others more than zombie stories do to me.

I don't have a problem rating this highly because it gave me what I hoped for in that first story. All-in-all this is a good and worthy read.