Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Minimum Wage by Bob Fingerman


Title: Minimum Wage
Author/Editor: Bob Fingerman
Publisher: Image Comics
Rating: WARTY!


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review. The chance to read a new book is reward aplenty!

Usually I'm pretty good at picking out graphic novels I end up liking, but lately I seem to have been going through a spell of poor choices I guess, because this is yet another one which I could not get into at all. The artwork is just fine, although a bit crowded, busy, and dark for my taste, but the dialog was uninspired and bored the pants off me.

This story is evidently nothing but a moronic and adolescent masturbation over picking up "chicks" and "getting laid' - at least that's all I got out of the first fifty pages which is when I abandoned this as a waste of my time. There appeared to be nothing else to it. I am really not interested in reading about someone else's boring life. When I open a book for an enjoyable read, I like to be taken away from 'ordinary' and 'usual' to something different and exciting. The last thing I want is to find myself reading about someone else's life where that life isn't even as interesting as my own. I certainly don't have any desire to be taken on extended excursions into the mindlessly mundane and luridly lackluster

Not one of the characters I encountered in those first fifty appealed to me in the slightest. There was no one with whom I could identify, not even temporarily, not even conditionally in return for a good story. They were completely unappealing, uninteresting and unsavory. Not one of them was the kind of person I would be interested in meeting, but more importantly, not one of them was anyone I was interested in learning more about, not even as an exercise in fiction.

I honestly cannot recommend this unless your taste really does run to bland and routine.