Saturday, December 20, 2014

Treasure Coast by Tom Kakonis


Title: Treasure Coast
Author: Tom Kakonis
Publisher: Brash Books
Rating: WARTY!


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review. The chance to read a new book is often enough reward aplenty!

It's the twentieth of December, so it's time for a novel beginning with 'T' - and today's a two-fer.

Well I made it to very nearly page fifty - the end of chapter four - of this one, and I still had no idea what this novel was about or where it was going, and at that point, I no longer cared. Each of the first four chapters introduced me to new characters, none of whom interested me or made me want to learn more about them, and none of whom seemed to be doing anything or going anywhere, to have anything on their minds, to be interesting, or to be moving any kind of story in any direction, let alone forwards, and I decided I had better reads to do with my time than bounce around like a spastic pin-ball in this one.

I can’t tell you what this was about - treasure maybe? Rich ocean-front dwellers? Nice coastlines? I don’t know and the author offered me nothing to get me interested or to offer me a good reason why I should stick around to find out. I have read novels which have pulled me right in from page one. This wasn't one of them, and if fifty pages doesn’t stir me, it’s a pretty reliable sign that six times that number isn’t going to do me any favors at all. Life's too short, and I can’t recommend this one based on what I read - which admittedly wasn't much, but it was more than enough for me!