Monday, January 26, 2015

The Adventures of Blue Ocean Bob - A Challenging Job by Brooks Olbrys


Title: The Adventures of Blue Ocean Bob - A Challenging Job
Author: Brooks Olbrys
Publisher: Children's Success Unlimited
Rating: WORTHY!


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review. The chance to read a new book is often enough reward aplenty!

This is a great little novel and picture book which tells - in poetry yet - of Ocean Bob's adventures on the sea front where he does his darnedest to keep the coast clear (of junk) and help ocean wildlife.

With his best friend Xena the hummingbird always ready to give advice, Bob proves he's a guy who's not afraid to ask for direction (and other forms of help) from his ocean of pals, including Mary Marine (his mentor), Al the dolphin, Doc the turtle, Earl the clam, and Wallace the walrus.

Bob's adventures include lending a helping hand, a pelican's plight, offering safe passage, heeding a simple reminder, and diving deep!

Beautifully drawn and colored, this book is aimed at 6 to 8 year-olds (hey, I'm an honorary eight-year-old! No, I am! That's my story and I'm sticking to it like a limpet to rock...), I was impressed by the warmth, heart, and art.