Monday, January 5, 2015

The God Project by Stanley R Lee


Title: The God Project
Author: Stanley R Lee
Publisher: Brash Books
Rating: WARTY!


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review. The chance to read a new book is often enough reward aplenty!

Today is Stan Lee day on my blog, but note that this author isn't the Stan Lee of Marvel comics fame (although Barnes & Noble's web site is stupid enough to have his picture tied to this book, and Amazon idiotically conflates him with the better-known Stan Lee!). He's a completely different guy, Stanley R Lee, who died in 1997. While it's nice that this work is still freshly available I hope the recompense for it is going to a good cause.

This one starts out with a long, long, long, rambling section about a US election, which I skimmed because it was tedious. One page (p34) even has a tabulated election results list. This (the rambling, not the results list!) went on, and on, and on forever. Once I got into the habit of skimming, it was hard to stop, especially since the "story" continued in this vein: rambling about political dancing, and good old boys, and government kibitzing, and back room meetings. I'm sure the author intended the story to go somewhere eventually, but after a hundred pages or so of this, it was simply uninteresting to me and I gave up! I can’t recommend it based on what I read.