Friday, September 5, 2014

Davide by Roger Pepper


Title: Davide
Author: Roger Pepper
Publisher: Globe Trekker Press
Rating: WARTY!


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review.

Erratum:
p27 "Lighting..." should be "Lightning..."

David Bruno is on a trip through Italy when, sitting at a high-point overlooking Assisi, he's apparently struck by lightning and survives, waking up with an almost overwhelming weakness through his body. He's rescued from this transient infirmity by an older woman named Nola, who takes care of him and with whom he stays for a while during his recovery.

As he slowly gets better he meets new people, young and old, good and evil. He finds that now, he has a new perspective on life - and he can commune with the animals just like Saint Francis supposedly could do.

That's about as far as I could get with this. It began really intriguingly and drew me in right away, but then it suddenly lost steam and went nowhere. I could not keep track of where this story was supposed to be going because it seemed to be going around in circles, and I quickly lost interest. It was not at all like I'd imagined - and hoped - it might be from reading the book blurb. I can't recommend this one, but then I didn't read it all. Maybe you will like it better than I did.