Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Furmaid by Julia Dweck


Title: Furmaid
Author: Julia Dweck
Publisher: Kite Readers
Rating: WORTHY!

Beautifully Illustrated by Aida Sofia Barba Flores.

Sorry there are no inside images here. I read this on my phone! Yes, olde fashionede print book me! But how convenient is it that you can entertain your kids with reading material on your phone?

So, this is a really short bed-time or kids are feeling down kinda story about a mermaid who happens to have been born with fur instead of scales. Hmmm! Naturally she feels like a freak, and other mermaids make fun of her until it turns suddenly very cold in the neighborhood. I wonder who the most popular mer-person is then, huh?

I love that this story celebrates being different not as a handicap or a problem, but as a positive thing - even an essential thing that others will come to appreciate you for if you give them half a chance. Don't back down. Don't get down on yourself. Think positively and you're halfway there. I recommend this one.