Sunday, March 8, 2015

Hinges by Meredith McClaren


Title: Hinges
Author/Artist: Meredith McClaren
Publisher: Image Comics
Rating: WORTHY!


DISCLOSURE: Unlike the majority of reviews in this blog, I've neither bought this book nor borrowed it from the library. This is a "galley" copy ebook, supplied by Net Galley. I'm not receiving (nor will I expect to receive or accept) remuneration for this review. The chance to read a new book is often enough reward aplenty!

This began as a web comic and is now in print comic format as book one of a series. The story is about a doll named Orio who is being sent out into Clockwork city to start her place in society. Orio is very nervous and we learn nothing of her past history or exactly what's going on here. Indeed, there were times when the sparsely narrated comic disappeared into incomprehensibility, such that I had no idea what was happening, or even what was supposed to be happening. It reminded me of the comics my middle-grade son creates! For all that, I found it oddly haunting and entrancing, so I stayed with it and enjoyed it overall.

As each doll is put into society, it has to take up an occupation, but before it can be integrated into society, it has to select a companion known as an "Odd" - which is odd, because another comic I'm reviewing today is titled Oddly Normal! We're offered nothing to explain what's going on here or why a doll needs an 'Odd'. The one which Orio selects is named Bauble - the one which helped her find a dress. It seems like a natural for her, and so she selects it, but she all-too-soon discovers that Bauble has a mind of his (or her) own, and that mind doesn't necessarily fit into this society.

Orio is led to a series of potential employers, selected by an elaborate system which has, we're told, served society well up to this point, but it seems like it doesn't serve Orio at all. Bauble doesn't help. Heavily prone to wandering, fidgeting, and getting little fingers into everything that little fingers should never touch, all that Bauble succeeds in doing is upset everyone and everything.

As I said, it's difficult to know what's happening at times, and it's difficult to know how this ended. I'm not kidding! I sincerely hope author/artist Meredith McClaren brings a little more clarity to ensuing volumes in this series, but it looked to me like Orio found herself a job which she can do even though it's not pre-approved for her. She's left very much alone, but perhaps in charge of her destiny?

So given the issues, what's to like? For me it was the artwork. It's stunningly and evocatively done, and very endearing. The color palette is very restrained and muted which makes it all the more emotional. I fell in love with the way Orio is drawn, especially her eyes. I just wish I understood what was going on a bit better!