Sunday, September 20, 2015

A Little Book About You by Scott Gordon


Rating: WORTHY!

I've been a fan of Scott Gordon's books for a while. Once in a while there's one I am not so keen on, but he has so many and most of them are so light, fun, and entertaining, and even educational at times, that it's hard to find one that doesn't amuse. This one is more of a self-affirmation kind of book, and I had to think about the utility of this for quite a bit as I was reading it.

I mean, any parent can tell - and indeed ought to be telling - their kids how wonderful they are, and finding the positive in as much of their life as you can possibly wring out of it, so why do we need a book which takes this important role out of our parental hands? I think the value of this book is that it's something any kid can enjoy when you're not right there to read it. Its like leaving a piece of you in their hands when you can't be there at that moment. Of course, it's going to mean nothing if you haven't spent the time with them and this book beforehand. You have to put in the time, and a lot of it, but after that, the kid can associate the book with your words, even if they can't read it themselves.

If they're learning to read of course, they can read it to themselves, but if they cannot, they can at least enjoy the fun and colorful pictures - pictures they associate with your voice reading it - so on balance I'd have to say this is a good book to have around for as long as your kid derives something from it, and I recommend it on that basis.