Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Titan by François Vigneault


Rating: WORTHY!

From an advance review copy for which I thank the publisher.

This was a graphic novel in limited colors by a Canadian artist and writer. While the art isn't completely to my taste, I didn't think it was awful, but I didn't get the warm colors. Titan is almost a billion miles from the sun, and it ain't warm out there. I felt the color palette ought to have been blues, not the warm colors used here, but that's just me. Once I got used to it, I didn't really pay it any attention. I focused on the story, which after all is the most important part, otherwise it's just a picture book. While that can sometimes work, I prefer a good written story to an implied one. I have to say up front that this is a very graphic novel with sex scenes, so be warned!

The story begins with "MNGR" (everyone who has a title has it capitalized and with no vowels in it in this story!) João da Silva landing on Titan to get the mining operations back up to speed since they're been falling off lately. The atmosphere - among the living inhabitants that is - is stressed and full of fomenting revolution. The moon, the largest one orbiting Saturn and the second-largest satellite in the Solar System is populated by genetically-amped-up WRKRs who are significantly larger and tougher than humans. They mine hydrocarbons, although exactly why is rather glossed over as is why they have genetically adjusted miners as opposed to robots.

The atmosphere of Titan itself wasn't well-represented. It was shown as rocky whereas it's really an ice moon - and the ice isn't water, but methane. In short, it's really nasty out there. Everyone is wearing a space suit and helmet so it's not until they get indoors that João finally gets a look at Phoebe Mackintosh, who will be his liaison during his work to reorganize and ramp up the efficiency of the Titan operation.

Rebecca is kind of sexy despite dwarfing João in size, and she speaks a sort of patois which is fortunately quite intelligible (I don't know if this originated in English or French, Vigneault being Québécois). Anyway, they bond together and survive a revolution, but they don't remain together at the end which I found rather sad, especially since they discussed it during their encounters, one of which is quite graphic and very sexual. I loved their coy talk afterwards!

I applaud the author for telling an interesting story and for showing a rather asymmetrical relationship without any fuss or judgment. It was entertaining and a fun read. I was sorry the translation went the road most traveled and referred to Earth dwellers as 'Terran'. I have no idea where that began, but it's always struck me as stupid. No one has ever referred to humans as 'Terrans' except in sci-fi and to me it sounds ridiculous - like we're all a bunch of tortoises or something. But that's just a pet peeve of mine. I don't know if the original did this or if this was just the translated version.

Overall I found this to be entertaining and engrossing, and I commend it as a worthy read.