Wednesday, January 28, 2015

My Crazy Pet Frog by Scott Gordon


Title: My Crazy Pet Frog
Author: Scott Gordon
Publisher: Scott Gordon
Rating: WORTHY!

Today is Scott Gordon day on my blog, and I have to tell you that the only thing crazier than the frog is Scot Gordon himself. This guy is a fellow blog-spotter, though I don't know him. I do know that he has has a wa-ay out of control imagination! I haven't always seen eye-to-eye with some of his text (he labels a whale as a fish in one of these books for example), but overall, I rate his work a very worthy read. He has a blog (link on my blog) where he talks about indie publishing.

His books are often on sale for free at Amazon, too, (as this one is as of the posting of this blog) so what's to lose? It's better to get a free ebook - even though you can't really hand it to your sticky-fingered kids and let them have at it - than to buy a print book with so much white space that it makes trees cringe! (The sample images in this blog are cropped so they don't look like they waste paper).

That pet peeve aside, this is worth taking the time to enjoy. I don't know how he illustrates these things but the images are remarkable and very appealing - perhaps because of their simplicity, clean lines and, yes, sometimes it's worth it, I admit! - the use of white space!

We start out right off the bat with the frog in the bath, but it can't last! Aye, there's the tub! The frog's gettin' frisky, yo, and soon it's disco - or is he a secret agent rantin' and ravin'? Maybe he's a hero and you start to cheer...Oh! no indeed, he just wants to read!

I liked this story. It's probably his best one yet. It left me with a frog in my throat anyway. I recommend getting off your lily-pad and trying this one!