Monday, July 5, 2021

Deceptions by Kelley Armstrong

Rating: WARTY!

"Haunted by her shocking family history and plagued by mysterious visions, Olivia Taylor Jones confronts the darkness at the heart of the isolated town of Cainsville" Cainsville? Seriously? Shocking family history? Whenever I see the word 'shocking' or 'sinister' in a book description, I automatically tune out because these are two of the most over-used words ever in blurbs, and if the description is that uninventive and the author has no problem with it, then what does it say about the tedious novel itself? No. No. No. Plus it bothers me that an author you never heard of before has her name up on the cover larger than the book title, like that means something. "Oh look! I have a large name! This book must be worth reading!" Horseshit. I read a thoroughly disappointing novel by this author some time ago and I sure have no interest in reading another by an author who champions herself as a New York Times #1 Best-Selling author but is nonetheless reduced to offering discounted novels in an email flyer.